Monday, December 8, 2008

The Quarter Pole

I have now been down in New Orleans for about three and a half months which means that my service is just over a quarter (maybe closer to a third) of the way complete. On the plane back to Chicago, I had a chance to sit back and reflect on my time here so far and I realized that how this whole experience has affected me hadn't really sunk in yet. It was hard to believe that just three months ago I picked up and moved to New Orleans. I kind of just played back some of the events of the last three months in my head and can't believe some of the things that I've experienced. Heading home, it really made me feel like I have been down here for a long time. Almost every day I'm learning something different or having some experience that is new for me. On my way to Chicago was the first time that New Orleans kinda felt like home (at least for now). However, I desperately needed the break and was very excited to go home. The previous month of work had been really intense with all of the volunteers and big projects that were going on. I realized that in November alone I painted, deconstructed stairs, learned how to tile, installed hardwood floor, glazed windows, built a fence, and learned how to install kitchen cabinets. So I was definitely ready for the break and to get home to see my family and friends. Originally, I was only supposed to come home from the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving till Sunday. But since we had been working so hard, our supervisors gave us the entire week off. So I changed my flight and came home Sunday afternoon instead.

The week at home was much needed and everything I could have asked for in a visit. I had a great time getting to see everyone and felt like I was very busy the whole week and running from place to place which is exactly what I was hoping for. I ate way too much, which I wasn't used to. I think I gained three pounds in a week (it's okay though, I'll burn that right off now that I'm back at work). I wanted to thank everyone that I was with over the week for making my visit such a great one. You all made me feel happy to be home and reminded me just what great friends and family I have back in Chicago. It made me feel good that so many people were willing to come and hang out and make my visit special. I thought that going home would help me recharge my batteries a little bit, but by the time my visit was over, I was even more tired than when I arrived (which I think had to do with staying out till 4 in the morning a few nights), but it was well worth it. My visit to Chicago definitely made it harder for me to leave and go back to New Orleans but I know there is still a lot for me here.

It really has taken me about three months to get settled here but I feel good about being here and how things have been going and am ready for the next part of this experience. I've now gotten used to all of the different personalities at work and am really enjoying working with everyone. Everybody has their little quirks and things about them (as I'm sure I do) and we all kind of appreciate that about each other. Up till now, I have mainly interacted socially with people from my program so I think that is something I need to work on now that I'm back. That's the great thing about being down here on my own; it is up to me, and only me, to go out and meet people and make this experience what I want it to be. That can be tough sometimes too. I can be lazy and don't always feel like trying to find something to do. So that is kind of a work in progress. Life also moves a lot slower down here than in Chicago which is something I'm getting used to. There isn't something going on or something to do at every minute of every day like there is at home. That has been an adjustment and will continue to be.

At this point in time, there is a certain group out of the people from my program that I generally hang out with. And that's fine for me. I don't click with everyone, so I spend time with the people that I want to. A couple of weeks ago, one of my friends down here said that "it's up to each one of us to help make each other's time here fun." That just struck me as such a cool thing for someone to say. It is kind of up to me and each one of us to get what we want out of this experience but it's nice to know that I have met people that generally care about other people and their experiences here.

I know this post is a little bit different than what I usually write but I thought that since I have been down here for over three months now, and just visited home, it would be a good time to reflect on the time that I've spent here already and what lies ahead. I really did have a great time in Chicago and coming home was exactly what I needed. But now that I came home and don't know if and when I'll visit before the end of this program, it is time for all of you to start visiting me in New Orleans. Anyone who has any interest in coming down here, please get in contact with me so we can work out a time. There is so much I want to show all of you down here including the sites, some of the houses that I've worked on, as well as some of the better drinking and music establishments New Orleans has to offer. So come on down!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good post. Hope it's been a good week.

Anonymous said...

It has been awhile but I just wanted to wish you a Happy Hanukkah and an early Happy New Years! We can't wait to sit down with you one of these days and hear about your stories first hand. Be well...
Love,
Rachel, Brian, and Dylan

Unknown said...

I am somewhat proud of you. Larry Cap is the most proud, but I come in a close fifth behind Rachel, Brian, and Dylan. Just ahead of Buffy, Big Al and Babs. Happy Hanukkah.

Texacalny said...

Oh man...I came across your blog while trying to find Quarter Pole Downs in Duson, LA. When I saw the title of your post I almost lost it. Sadly, it wasn't about the track. Thanks for your service and best of luck if you're still down there. I have a buddy who moved to NOLA to teach and he's loving it.