Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Year That Was

Looking back on the year that was in 2008, it has been one crazy year from where I started to where I am right now. At this time last year, I was returning from a trip to Europe and was not too motivated for my second busy season at Ernst & Young. Little did I know that a year later I would be on my own in New Orleans.

Going into busy season at E&Y last year, I knew that I wasn’t really happy at Ernst & Young. A couple of months earlier, I had met with an accounting and finance recruiter to see what other jobs were out there and nothing seemed appealing. Along with my unhappiness at work, I was in a rut personally as well. I can be a very anxious person and just felt that my life was kind of at a standstill and every week and month wasn’t much different than the one before it. Throughout my life, I have been on this path that has kept me relatively happy but very conservative and secure. I have never been the type of person to take chances or challenge myself and it occurred to me that I am still very young and that living a conventional life was probably the cause of the funk I was in. By April, I had become even more anxious after working long hours for the prior three months. I had a trip to Arizona in April and a bachelor party in Vegas in May to kind of keep me occupied. I remember thinking on the way home from Vegas that it was time to finally do something. I was unhappy at work and unmotivated to do a lot of things for myself personally. I started writing down some goals for myself and gave myself a July 15th (my 25th birthday) deadline to make some sort of decision on what I was going to do about a job and the next phase of my life. I found that writing goals down really helps me get things done because once I write it down, it’s there and I can always see it. Through talking to my family and friends, I came across AmeriCorps and started looking at possible opportunities in New Orleans, San Francisco, San Diego, Washington D.C., and Boston. I decided that it would be a great time for me to go live somewhere else for a year or two and made this a focal point in trying to find a place to volunteer. I found the best opportunities to be in New Orleans and applied for three or four positions at different programs. I did not get accepted for the first few programs in which I applied.

However, at the end of the day on July 25th (a Friday), as I was sitting at my desk in the office finishing up for the week, I got the call that I had been accepted as a House Captain for Rebuilding Together New Orleans. The organization wanted me down in New Orleans by August 25, so I had exactly a month to get myself ready. When I got home from work that day, I remember thinking to myself (and definitely freaking out) that this was actually happening for me. I was going to live in New Orleans for a year. As soon as I found out I was going, I became very anxious and nervous. I knew the opportunity was going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for me, but that didn’t do much to calm my nerves. It was a good nervousness though. I was taking a chance on something in a way that I never had before. And while that scared me, I knew it would be a great thing for me.

The month before I left for New Orleans was a difficult one for me. I had so many things to do just to get myself ready to leave Chicago and physically move to New Orleans. A lot more went into it than I ever had thought. It was also difficult saying goodbye to family and friends that I knew I wouldn’t see again for awhile. I had never lived outside of Illinois and away from family and friends, so it was very hard for me to leave and go to a place where I knew nobody. I drove down to New Orleans on August 21-22 with my Dad and just remember saying over and over again, “What did I get myself into?” Because I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into and who I would meet and what I would be doing on a daily basis.

It has been over four months (in which you can see what I’ve been doing through previous postings) since I’ve been gone and I can honestly say that joining AmeriCorps and moving to New Orleans was the best decision I’ve ever made. Every day here is a new day and I’m having experiences that I never imagined. I have also met so many different kinds of people, which keeps life fresh. There is still so much more of New Orleans that I need to see and experience that I get antsy at times and worry that I’m not going to have enough time to do everything. However, it isn’t always easy. I definitely have days where I want to hang out with people or do something and there’s nobody around or people don’t want to do what I want to do. There are also times when I have nothing to do and just spend the day kind of vegging out. But that’s the challenge. I have learned so much about myself and feel like I have gained a lot of confidence. When you are in a rut and things are the same day after day, it’s easy to have insecurities and lack confidence, which is where I was in my life. But having pride in what I’m doing and having taken this chance has given me a lot of confidence in myself. Also, through the things I’m doing at work, I realize I’m capable of a lot. I am gaining new skills and learning how to manage others. I just needed to push myself and continue to push myself.

And with the New Year coming, we all have the opportunity to push ourselves. We never really know what we are capable of unless we our challenged. Up until I decided to come to New Orleans, I wasn’t doing or trying many things outside of my comfort zone, which made life easy and secure. But it also put me into the rut that I was in. It took stepping outside of the box and trying something new for me to snap out of it. I don’t think I’ll ever be the same person as I was before coming down here. I know it’s definitely not easy, and I’m not saying that everyone needs to make a huge life-changing decision every year or all the time, but I encourage you to try and do one or two things in the next year that you never thought you would do. Take a chance on something. You may like it, you may not. You may succeed, you may fail. But at least you took a chance and went out on a limb to experience something different. I promise that it will be rewarding in some way. There is a whole world of possibilities out there and it’s so easy to fall into a routine that lets us forget that.

I hope everyone can find something new and exciting in the New Year that challenges you and helps you find happiness in a place that you never expected. Happy 2009!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea - Weiny, I like your year in review. It made me think. I never knew you were such a thinker. Anyway - I think I'll call you in a bit - hope you have a great new year, with lots of things in store.